Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Blowing glass for Bocci Design

When I was offered a glassblowing position for Bocci Design & Manufacturing house I jumped on the opportunity.  In a matter of just a couple short weeks, I packed my little car and drove myself cross-province.  It's been 2 years since that move to Vancouver.

The Hotshop, located in this garage-like space in the parking lot of an old printing building

It's here, hidden behind rows of potted bamboo, that myself alongside 5 other full-time glass artists work to create Bocci's high-end glass products.  Fascinating to think that delicate, beautiful art is arduously produced in such a unsuspecting, industrial space.  Action shots below picture me making 2 of the main products - 28 series and 38 series. 

28 Series (Photos by Gwenael Lewis.  Right photo as published in Gray Magazine)
38 Series (Left photo by Gwenael Lewis.  Right by Cailey Buye)

Glassblowing is one of my greatest passions, and I am thankful to have had the opportunity to make a living doing such a unique craft!  It's been an excellent past two years at Bocci, filled with valuable experiences and knowledge gained.  Close friendships were made with many laughs and silly, fun times had :) 

Fun with co-workers, 2012-2014 (Photos by Cailey Buye)

With that said, all good things must come to an end to make way for beautiful new beginnings.  It's time for a new chapter in my life!  I have returned to school to pursue my interests in interior design and architecture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment